Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thing 14 - Online productivity tools

Okay, a lot of the Things are kinda neat, but are really just another way to waste time on the internet. These are super cool, though. Yeah, you can get caught up and end up wasting some time, but they are just so handy that it is forgivable. A lot of them are cool and certainly useful for numerous people the world over, but some I just can't really use. The calendars are neat-o, but I don't really have enough appointments or anything to keep one - and I like my good, ol' fashioned wall calendar with it's color-coded ink. The to-do list that you could send to your phone would be really handy, too... except that my phone doesn't even have a camera, it's so old-school. And if you have the sticky notes, you don't really need the to-do list applications also.

Here are some suggested ones that I liked and a few I found on my own (and with the help of my beloved StumbleUpon):
Sticky Notes - dude, these are super cool. It took me a bit of fiddling around with it to figure out how to make them do what I wanted them to, but I really look forward to using this (though I'm sure I will use classic Post-Its often as well).
HassleMe - I know what you're thinking, "How could an application called 'HassleMe' be used for productivity?" Just check it out - it can be used for relatively unproductive reminders (like working out) or I could use it to send myself an e-mail every week so I never forget to do my weekly Religions of Asia homework (seriously, I swear, one of these weeks I will forget to do it).
PDF Converter - in all of my seemingly infinite computer/internet wisdom, I have never really figured out/learned about PDFs. Don't get me wrong, I use them all the time, but I'm still not really sure how they work. But no matter, PDF converter to the rescue!
DropSend - this is a neat place to store documents and whatnot online and send really big files that some e-mail providers wouldn't let you due to size limitations. I know a lot of people are all about GoogleDocs, and storing stuff online is sweet, but just be careful, because there have been many a times when there has been no internet, but you can still get stuff done because you have everything backed up on your flashdrive and don't need the interweb.

Again, I am a child of the digital age and I know that I probably rely on computers and the internet too much, but I must caution again about wholly depending on these wonderful devices. Sometimes, paper and pencil is just as good, if not better, for certain things - and many times more reliable, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment