Friday, January 23, 2009

Thing 3 - blog search engines

Sooooo, I'm not crazy about this Thing. I have done it because it is one of the Things, but I don't really have any interest in finding blogs. I waste enough of my time that should be spent studying on the few blogs I do look at, I don't need to be looking at any others. Also, I don't really see why someone would need an entire search engine dedicated to blogs. You could probably just add the word "blog" to your search in Google and it would work. Also, I feel like any blog worth reading would be referenced in something in which you are already interested.

Okay, moving on to the actual Thing. I searched Technorati and Google Blog Search for blogs about knitting. First of all, Technorati let me search for blogs about knitting, while in Google Blog Search (advanced options), I could only search for blogs with "knitting" in the title of the blog. Half of the first 10 blogs that Technorati came up with didn't have "knitting" in the title so they wouldn't have come up on Google. Searching by blog title would only be useful if you knew a few words in a particular blog, but forgot the URL. Thus, should one want to find a new blog, this is useless. I don't have anymore mildly positive things to say about this Thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment