Saturday, January 17, 2009

Thing 2 - Web 2.0 and Library 2.0

So, I looked over the information and links on the NEFLIN 23 Things blogs and my overall reactions is, DUH! I have said before that I am a product of the Net Generation, so it's not a big deal to me anyway. I was IMing and everything long before I could even drive. Anyway, my problem with these things is not Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 in and of themselves, but the fact that we seem to need a new term and concept for them. Okay, so originally computers and the internet were developed for what? Simple e-mail and complex computing. Now they are used for everything from taking classes to finding a date. But they are still used for simple e-mail and complex computing. Let's think about this from another angle; back in the day, there was the telegraph and it was used for relaying important, critical news across long distances. Then, the old-school telephone came along, then one with numbers you can punch, then cordless phones, then the original gigantic mobile phones, and now we have cell phones that can do pretty much everything anywhere and for many people, are absolutely depended upon. I just don't see what the big fuss is about.

Here are the questions posed on the 23 Things blog and my answers:

Why are you participating in 23 Things @ NEFLIN? What do you hope to learn? Primarily, I am doing 23 Things for the prizes, I'm not gonna lie. And perhaps to show off a bit. Also, I have found that there are a few things that I know about but didn't realize they had a name or the apparently big impact that they are having (i.e. Web 2.0).
How has the Internet and the vast resource it can be affected your use of time at work and/or at home? Well...I waste a lot more time messin' around on the internet when I should be studying or something else important. Other than that, a computer anad the internet is practically a requirement for students now so a large portion of my computer/internet time is spent working on homework, researching, or studying in general. Also, I frequent Wikipedia for general informataion for all the random things I come across and want to know more about and whenever I'm watching tv and there's an actor I recognize or something, I IMDB him/her. And I use Facebook. A lot. It has become quite a phenomenon among my age-group - Facebook is how we stalk our new dates, keep up with photos from the latest party, and just generally stay in touch. Nothing is official until it's on Facebook and if it says it on Facebook, it has to be true (psh, yea right!).
Where are you in your knowledge and use of Web 2.0 tools? I am pretty savvy with the Web 2.0 tools - I often get called over to help with said tools at work (and I'm just a page with very little reference authority). How about your library? We are becoming much more on top of Web 2.0 tools. Our branch took a great leap on this front when we got Heather as our new YA librarian. In order to even get some young adults into the library, using Facebook and Myspace is practically necessary in order to promote teen programs like the Twilight Prom.
What are you looking forward to in 23 Things @ NEFLIN? I am looking forward to not being the only one at work who knows how to help someone with Myspace or Yahoo! messenger. And the prizes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment